Monday, 11 June 2018

A little progress....


Boy what a creased up bit of fabric.... I took this on holiday with me and it got a bit crunched up in the camper van !   It's the start of the next block for Lynette Anderson Seaside Town.  It's the fence around the veg patch.  I picked up a bargain at the National Trust second hand book room at Monacute House - a reference book on sewing and embroidery.... £20.00 price to buy new, I paid £1.00 !  I am hoping it might improve my stitching LOL


Next up my progess on my Bothy Threads "sewing room".  A thimble has appeared and been completed and the green bit is the handle of the embroidery scissors. I enjoyed picking this up again.

And finally (very unlike me I know) but I made a start on a small project.  My sister Louise has just finished this one - it's a super cute book mark and couldn't resist it.  You can see I haven't done much.

It uses three pieces of thread and the holes are very small so I was struggling a bit with bad light trying to do it one evening.... and I need to unpick a little bit but thought you would like to see it anyway.  You can see it's the start of the blue beach hut on the end.

We have had the most amazing May and June so far weather wise in the UK so there hasn't been much inside stuff happening - I'm not complaining in the slightest I am an outside person.

K xx

Monday, 14 May 2018

Bothy Threads Sewing Room

The latest picture is finished on the Bothy Threads Sewing Room
I started this on Friday night and worked a little on it on Saturday and a bit on Sunday.
This is what it looks like now.  I'll probably do the thimble next and then the top row will be done.
My next crafting time I shall be working on my quilt. So you might not see a cross stitch up date for a bit.
Barney jumped almost as much as this froggy this morning when he went to sniff it!
The wild garlic is amazing in the village at the moment.  It smells so strong especially at dusk.

Have a great week everyone and thanks for stopping by.

Tuesday, 8 May 2018

Progress

I picked up my cross stitch over the long weekend - it comes out when we are away in our camper van and not any other time... but I plan on changing that and working on it one night a week if I can, just so it keeps moving.   We were in the New Forest in the camper van from Friday until Monday with my sister Louise and Andy her hubby in their caravan.  We had a great time.  We took our bikes and doggy trailer and everywhere we went we biked instead of taking the van out - 52 miles in all.  I have calf muscles like popeye as I like to pull the trailer and then make Phillip cycle behind the trailer to keep his eye on Barney.  We had the most amazing weather and a brilliant time.  A really good tonic for us and just what we needed.

So this is the before photo.


And the after, you will see I finished the orange and red knitting and back stitched the brown thing next to the yellow cotton which I am not sure even what it is.......

Tuesday, 10 April 2018

Seaside Town progress

My first block is finished... it consisted of the main piece and some 16 patch squares - I have done enough for the entire quilt as I obviously have all the instructions, so thought I just as well whilst I was doing them.  It was nice to do some fairly simple patchwork after the hand stitching of the block.





Block 2 has had me cursing.....

It is made up of English paper pieced cottage, with quite a few tiny pieces.  I have extra cottages to make as well to go round the outside so I am doing those at the same time (in for a penny in for a pound).  You can just see I have started the hand embroidery in the garden of the cottage on the left there are flowers and birds for the bottom and peacocks for above the chimneys.


I am ever hopeful it will stop raining at some point before winter comes again... I am so sick of the rain!


Monday, 26 March 2018

And I'm off......


I'm a bit rusty to say the least......

First job locate the fabric required to be put by for another block later in the series... as it happens I have all the blocks so I think the thin bits are for the rainbow in month 12 and the fatter bit is some sort of border.



I transferred the design on to the base fabric with a marker pen that disappears in a couple of days (best get a move on) due to not having anything else suitable..... and then cut out my first bit of applique.  I decided to use the method where you add a 1/4" seam allowance and fold that over and tack it in place, then stitch the piece on to your base fabric using a slip stitch. 

The tree is made up of three colours, so there's a fair bit of work, there are two little leaves and then three little berries on the end of each bit of branch.  I've put some stabilizer behind which helps with the thread shadows.