Tuesday, 3 March 2009

Rock Cake Recipe for Janet x

Hi Everyone

Janet asked me what a rock cake was yesterday, I mailed her back with a description and offered the recipe. Most of you that read my blog that have visited our home have had rock cakes so thought you might like to have a go yourselves - I know, home made is never quite as nice when you bake it yourself......

8oz of Self Raising Flour
1/2 - 1 teaspoon of mixed spice
5oz of butter or margarine (I use flora - not the light, just the normal)
5oz caster sugar
4-5oz mixed dried fruit
1-2oz mixed candied peel

1 egg beaten
A little milk to bind.

Preheat the oven to 220/425 gas mark 7

Rub the butter into the flour and mixed spice (optional if you don't like mixed spice like Stuart my nephew - I add mine in at the end and split the mix so he gets some without the spice).
It won't make fine breadcrumbs by the way.
Add the sugar, fruit and peel and give it a mix up.
Add the beaten egg and then if necessary add a small amount of milk, you are looking to make a sticky consistency.
This recipe should make 12.
Put spooned heaps onto a non stick tray or greaseproof paper and cook in the centre of your preheated oven for about 12 minutes - depending on what size you made your rocks. You will see if they are ready ! Don't put them too close together as they do expand.
Leave to cool for five minutes on the tray before transferring to a wire rack.

Lastly EAT THEM!
These are great frozen by the way !

2 comments:

  1. Scrum Yum! Thanks Karen I'm going to have a go myself and take them to Jen's on Thurs.

    Janet they are delicious!

    Jo
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen - thank you so much for this. It doesn't sound difficult at all and I love to bake and learn new recipes. I'm going to try them this week and will let you know how they turn out. I can't wait. Thank you again.

    ReplyDelete