Thursday, 10 September 2009

A card in 10 minutes....

I was trying to explain to a friend of mine about card making the other day - the way I look at it is that you need to develop your own basic style and then build from there, for example, a stamped image, mounted then mounted again - basic right..... then you can go a bit further, same thing but add some dimensionals, or brads or ribbon. You can round the corners off, punch holes, add sparkles.... the world is your oyster so to speak.

So last night (as she is coming on Saturday) I made some cards to demonstrate what I was trying to explain. You will see they start off really simple and get more complicated. I think this is a good way to build up confidence and experience.









My other big tip to her was to make cards even when you don't need them and put them in a box so that if you do need one you can get it out and send it without feeling the pressure of having to make a card that you are really happy with there and then. Would be interested in any comments I can pass on to this friend who is a little bit lost.

Another thing I do is stamp images and colour them in - on nights where I don't feel like card making but want to be a bit creative - this way you always have stamped images ready which speeds up your card making if you are in a hurry.

I was even tempted to set a 10 minute card challenge over on more the merrier - as much time as you like to think about the card but only 10 minutes to get it made.... what do you think ? (my poor buddy has spent up to 3 hours making a card and still not been happy with the results)

I have some more cards that I will share with you tomorrow. Have a great day all.


K x

2 comments:

  1. Another tip is the colour combo...If you get that right you can't go wrong.

    Jobes
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The other thing you might mention to your friend is that sometimes you can be overwhelmed by a blank page - don't worry! Its worth looking thru' magazines (of any sort) for layouts and that it really doesn't matter what or how you produce it, every card adds to the experience!

    ReplyDelete