Wednesday, 20 March 2013

WOYWW #198

It's WOYWW  again already, I haven't participated for a few weeks as I haven't really had anything to show - the quilt I am working on I want to wait and have a big reveal when it's finished. 

So here is the workstation, you can see my lovely machine is now permanently in a Gidget II which we added castors with brakes to, this bought it up to the same level as my desk and allows me to wheel it about the place moving it when I need to sit and card make or cut out stuff. You can't really see on the photo but I have a cone holder on the back of my machine which I am using with isacord for my quilt - it's really very good but you need to use a cone holder and not the normal reel holder.  You can see my quilting gloves which I would not be without.  You can also see a bit of my queen size quilt - for those of you that passed about about a month ago it was a WIP, now its all together and I am just finishing the FMQ.

I love the idea of Pinmoors but could not put my hand in my pocket to buy them as they are expensive, they are little bits of silicone you stick in the of your pins when you are quilting to keep your layers together.  Usually I use curved safety pins but this pinmoor bungs seem to be much easier.

Someone on line somewhere that I  can't find to credit (sorry lovely lady) suggested a product called Everbuild Foam Sealant Joint Backer, which comes in a long length and I am currently cutting off various experimental lengths to see what suits the pins best.  It isn't silicone clearly (I think small rubber erasures were also suggested) it's foam clearly but it seems to do the job so far.  I am going to pin the edges of my quilt and see how it goes and will give you an update on the sucess of it.  The cost £3.24 off ebay so thought it was worth a try, compared to a bag of 50 for £21.95 (plus P&P if applicable from Creative Grids.  The roll I got was 10 metres so even if they don't last that long I have plenty to replae them with.  As I say I am working out an optimum length for me and test driving them.

 


I was saddened to hear that Di Huck had passed away recently - she was an inspiration in the quilting world and will be sadly missed - Rest In Peace Di.
 
So hopefully not too much longer until I can show the finished quilt, there is a fair bit left to do but the majority is done.
 
K x


7 comments:

  1. I’m really looking forward to seeing your finished quilt Karen, I admire anyone that can use a sewing machine.
    Happy Crafting!
    Sue @98
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look forward to the big reveal Karen! My Mother was a seamstress....wish she had taught me how to use a sewing machine! Hope you're well :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking forward to seeing your finished quilt and what a great extension to your sewing machine that must make life easier for you
    Wishing you a very Happy WOYWW
    Ria #44

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love trial and error on products. Looking forward to your reveal. I'm not playing this week so no # after my name. But I'm still cruising, checking out posters who spell my name... Creative Blessings! Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a busy desk Karen! Jill x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How funny we both end in 8! You are certainly doing lots of wxperimenting in the quilting world. Hope your week is going well. Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see your finished quilt!

    Happy (belated) WOYWW!

    StampinBoots x #144

    ReplyDelete