Friday, 31 May 2013

Sugar block number 5

It's the last Friday of the month and the day for showing the Sugar Block of the month that Linda, Wynneth and I are taking part in this year - one block a month designed and instructed by Amy Gibson - it's still not too late if you wish to join the group.

 I actually finished my block for May on the 12th which I am rather smug about and sometimes it has literally been a lastminute.com affair which I don't like!

I made it larger by adding strips to each side in the same fabric and then quilted it.  I used straight lines across the triangles, a swirling circle in the middle and then stippling elsewhere.


Here is my free motion quilting, circle on the middle, straights on the triangles and wiggles on the ribbon.

I then made it into a cushion with French seams and over lapping back which I prefer to having to put a zip in.  It is sitting on the bed embellishing my quilt.
You can just about see the seam on the back which over laps.


And here it is.  It is my intention to make last months block into another cushion as well when I get around to it.    I am enjoying getting some practice in of FMQ.  K x

2 comments:

  1. Love how you turned the block into a cushion and your FMQ is looking great too. My favourite block to make so far. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ! love the fabrics you've used Karen and what a great idea to turn your BOM into a cushion cover. It looks fabulous on your bed quilt. It was a nice easy block this time I think but I wish I'd used a different fabric for the 'envelope' on mine as it seems to disappear into the background. See you Friday for June's block.
    hugs
    wynneth
    x

    ReplyDelete