Thursday, 24 April 2014

A card for Ben and a new class

Sorry for the lack of posts, been busy, busy, busy.

My latest class on Craftsy is the express jacket. The course was advertised half price and included the pattern so thought I would give it a crack as the next step, I have been doing cushions until they come out of my ears and a couple of skirts and I know the jacket is more complicated (indeed the number of pieces required is loads more than a skirt ! ! !  Janet Pray is the tutor and I have to say it's a very good course, so far.
I have chosen denim and have it all cut out and interfaced (see below), the next job is on the machine. The class teaches you to sew like machine shops do, quickly and efficiently (will let you know if it is quick and efficient ).  One of the things that you do is not iron as you go, you sew a fair bit and then iron afterwards.  You also don't pin your pattern pieces down you use weights and a rotary cutter (I can hear some of you screaming and holding your hands up at this - trust me I did the same, it is totally alien to me but I did do it Janet's way and it wasn't so bad.

The course does not talk about pattern altering or any of the real basics so you shouldn't really attempt this course if you are a complete newby to sewing as it may well frighten the beegeebers out of you.

On another matter, here's a card for my nephew, surprisingly his name is Ben....It's a Lili image and SU for everything else except the foam letters which I am not sure where they came from.
Hope things are good with everyone, hubby, the dog and I have just been down to North Cornwall in the camper van for a few days - it was lovely, blue sky and sunshine but a biting Atlantic wind which never relented the whole time.  Managed to see a fair bit, Boscastle, Tintagel, Port Issac ( where Doc Martin is filmed), Newquay, Padstow, Bodmin, St Austell, Mivergissy. I had no idea how many wind farms there are down there - they are completely massive too ! 

I hope everyone had a great Easter !

K x

2 comments:

  1. I like the look of your new stitching project - hope it is as easy and quick as they say.

    Sweet card for your nephew.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh wow! Your going to be a true seamstress when your done sewing your jacket. Love the denim fabric:)
    Hope all goes well for you.
    Good luck - love Annette

    ReplyDelete