Thursday, 11 September 2014

A new quilt is born

Apparently a sweet sixteen quilt is a GREAT way to use up scraps and I thought "great" the basket is full of scraps I can use....... So I hooked out a lot of fat quarters that had been sitting waiting and began cutting them up.
Here are the strips cut up ready to sew back together again. Basically you make 2.5" wide strips which you sew in pairs and then sew two pairs together to make a strip of four. Once sewn and the seams pressed one way you cut them into 2 1/2" strips and then re join them making blocks to then be sewn into a quilt.  The other squares will just be plain fabric, all washed and ready to go. 

 The last photo shows their example, sorry about the shadows and rubbish pictures. Hours spent so far 8 hours (been busy so not much quilting going on).   I intend to keep a note of the hours it takes for the whole project.  It's a quilt for our camper van.
Now I discover I am never going to get 160 strips out of the scraps I have out so have found some more and am busy cutting, sewing and ironing those.  I think it's going to take quite a bit of time to sew the blocks together as I have to get all the points of the seams lined up.  Not sure if I will pin them all first or pin as I go.

Happy weekend everyone.

K x

No comments:

Post a Comment