Thursday, 28 January 2016

Excited.....

The one thing I struggle with is fit - I can put garments together no problem, but fit is a bit of a headache.  I vowed to myself that I would master it this year , what is the point of spending all that time making something if you look like a sack of spuds in it....

I have been reading a book that my Mum got me last year (at my request)... It has been a real eye opener.... then I discovered they are running courses on Craftsy for the Palmer/Pletsch fitting technique....




All I can say is WOW !   I feel like very single light bulb is on in my head... what a FANTASTIC course.  Melissa, the daughter of Pati Palmer together with her Mum Pati and also a little bit of Marta go through step by step fitting a blouse.  All I can say is it was worth every penny and more.

It's my birthday coming up so I made my list up of the things I would like and my dear hubby obliged - he's very good like that.

I am just waiting for the pattern to come for the class but in the meantime going to have some practice runs altering some of the free patterns that come with the magazines that I subscribe to that I will never wear but will be good practice.  The general idea is you work out what your normal alterations and then apply it to the various patterns, tissue fit and then the pattern is just about right for material cutting with maybe a few tweaks before you sew up.... It's going to be a challenge but I am really raring to go.  I have only a few pounds to go to get back to where I want to be weight wise, I put on weight when I damaged my ligament in my foot and couldn't walk for weeks and then put on a bit for Xmas so I am determined to get it off and then create myself some nice fitting clothes!

With all that in mind part of my "birthday shopping list" was the fabric below which for those of you that know me will know it's right out of my comfort zone, I just wanted a complete change.  They will hopefully be made into the blouse pattern that comes with the course.


I have always loved the turquoise so thought that would make a jolly summer blouse and I live in the country and thought the country pattern on the other fabric would look smashing with some jeans.....

Long way to go yet though, practice, practice and more practice so don't be expecting to see anything in the next couple of weeks....

I bought the fabric at a very reasonable cost from the Remnant House - ordered it yesterday just arrived with the postie.  You can tick a box that says supply matching thread and they choose that for you too which I thought was marvelous.  I will be using them again without a doubt.

I have signed up for the other two courses on Craftsy for fitting techniques on other areas but will probably watch the other one again rather than go on and flood my brain with too much info.

K x

1 comment:

  1. So glad you are enjoying the course - I am sure you will soon have it all sorted. Lovely fabrics and I think it's good to work out of our comfort zones from time to time - sometimes we actually find we like it after all.

    ReplyDelete